With the horrors of the recent flood still fresh in our minds, we thought it might be a good time to go over some flood related tips for treating with the effects of a flood.
– Stay informed, ensure that you are up to date on the latest weather news
– Have a plan in place for where you will be evacuating to, consider the routes and consider any traffic that you may have to pass through
– Have an emergency supply of non-perishable food and clean drinking water, medical supplies and personal hygiene products
– In the event of power and data outages, Linx and Credit Card networks may be down, so ensure that you have cash to purchase necessary items during the emergency
– If you have pets, ensure that you have adequate supplies of food for them as well
– Do not wait until the last moment to evacuate
– Before evacuating, move as much of your personal items to an upstairs floor if possible.
– Elevate all electric appliances if possible
– Disconnect all electric appliances and turn off your home’s circuit breaker
– Do not touch appliances if you are wet or standing in water
– Clean and disinfect everything that got wet after the floor
– When pumping out flood waters, remove 1/3rd per day to avoid structural damage to your property